Cong MLA who recommended awards for Apna Ghar accused, raises issue, faces House heat
- Election Live: BJP in damage control mode, Rudy to meet Uddhav to fine tune alliance with Sena
- Missing Malaysia Airlines: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Mocking Nitishâs âPM hopesâ, Modi woos Muslims, Yadavs
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
The Apna Ghar scandal rocked the Haryana Assembly's budget session on Tuesday as the main Opposition, the INLD, cornered Congress MLA B B Batra — who along with another party legislator Anand Singh Dangi had recommended the shelter's home incharge and prime accused in the case Jaswant Devi for various national and state empowerment awards - over the issue.
Batra was suggesting measures to curb crimes against women after a few legislators had called for a motion on the issue when the INLD legislators began targetting him over the Apna scandal. Batra and Dangi had given recommendation letters to the now jailed Jaswanti Devi on basis of which she got the various prestigious awards.
As the INLD legislators refused to relent, an infuriated Batra asked Vidhan Sabha Speaker Kuldeep Sharma to grant him 10 minutes to clarify his position. "It is not right the way INLD legislators keep issuing statements in the media and target me and Mr Dangi on the Apna Ghar issue. The facts are not the same as they (INLD legislators) project. Either they should refrain from issuing such malicious statements and levelling allegations against me or I should be allowed to state the facts before the entire House," Batra pleaded.
The INLD legislators, however, continued to point fingers at Batra and Dangi for their questionable role in the Apna Ghar case. Despite repeated requests, Batra was not allowed by the Speaker to explain his position and he was asked to restrict himself to the Governor's address.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express