Cong president or V-P to be natural choice for PM post, says Shashi Tharoor
- India goes to poll in 9 phases between April 7 and May 12; counting on May 16
- Sheila Dikshit appointed Kerala Governor; Congress-RJD pact likely today
- You told us go to hell, says Supreme Court, sends Subrata Roy to jail
- For âcheeringâ Pakistan in India match, university in Meerut suspends 67 Kashmiri students
- Attacker, victim: 2 faces of Gujarat riots come together for âHindu-Muslimâ unity
Union minister Shashi Tharoor on Sunday suggested if the party is voted to power, its president or the vice-president will be the natural choice for the PM's post.
"Everybody knows who is the president and vice-president of our party and if people vote for our party, then naturally one among them would become Prime Minister of the country," he said.
He was suggesting that the Congress does not need to name its prime ministerial candidate before elections.
When asked if the Lok Sabha polls will be a contest between Gujarat CM Narendra Modi and Rahul Gandhi for Prime Minister's post, he dismissed the query. "In India, we don't have a system like the US where it was a direct contest between President Barack Obama and Republican Party leader Mitt Romney. Here people vote for the party and the elected members then elect their leader," Tharoor said.
He was here for a seminar on women empowerment, organised by a private educational institution.