Cong rift: One group on dharna, other meets MC commissioner
- PM Modi discusses GST bill with Manmohan, Sonia at 7 RCR; Cong says demands non-political
- Withdraw convocation invite to Narendra Modi: Jamia Millia alumni to VC
- PoK will remain with Pakistan, J&K will remain with India: Farooq Abdullah
- Liquor ban in Bihar: Nitish Kumar's poll promise to women comes at a high cost
- Amarinder Singh appointed as new Punjab Cong President
The factionalism in the Congress was once again visible when the faction led by MLA Bharat Bhushan Ashoo held a meeting with MC commissioner and submitted a memorandum, the other group, led by District Congress Committee president Pawan Dewan and leader of opposition Hemraj Aggarwal, sat on protest in MC Zone-A office on Thursday.
When contacted, Gurpreet Gogi, one of the councillors who attended the meeting with the commissioner, said, "We submitted a memorandum to the commissioner regarding many issues like rollback of property tax, development charges, immediate action on pending projects and completion of incomplete flyovers. Most importantly, the mayor, even after six months, has not called a house meeting once. He simply does not care about city."
Asked about the group sitting on protest, he said, "We are not aware of any group sitting on protest. We met commissioner for welfare of residents." The Dewan group has been sitting on protest for the past four days against the SAD-BJP government.
- Good governance is in actions, not in 'abolishing' religious holidays of minorities
- Respecting sovereignty is the essence of bilateral diplomatic engagement
- Islam doesn’t justify targeting innocent lives in the manner in which it was done in Paris
- Imran Khan is a politician with a sense of personal destiny, and a divine mission
- Game upside down
- Why every patriot should be worried, and, yes, ashamed