Cong shortlists 30 women candidates
- Tanzanian student was not stripped, paraded naked: K'taka Home Minister
- National Herald case: Sonia, Rahul Gandhi move SC challenging Delhi HC order
- Budget session of Parliament to begin on Feb 23; Jaitley hopeful of GST
- Suspended UP chief engineer Yadav Singh arrested, Congress, BJP say probe links
- Will stand by Pakistan if it acts on terror: Rajnath Singh
The state Congress has shortlisted 30 women candidates from around 150 aspirants seeking to contest the December Assembly elections on the party ticket.
Gujarat Pradesh Mahila Congress president Sonal Patel, who was in the city to mobilise women party workers from central Gujarat, said the list of shortlisted candidates has been sent to senior party functionaries who will take a final call soon.
"After the election process set rolling, our senior leaders were asked to find at least one woman candidate in each district. More than 150 women had sought party ticket," she said.
Patel said the party has persuaded the remaining candidates to participate in training so that they could mobilise women voters and strengthen party's hold at local level. "We have called in every woman who asked for ticket and asked them to work with a political understanding so that when there are local elections, they will be able to perform better, even if they fail to get ticket," she said.
- Outcome on Section 377 will depend on composition of the Constitution bench
- Inadequate staff, payment delays undermine MGNREGA in drought-hit Mahabubnagar
- ICDS, the primary scheme targeting malnutrition, needs to be broadened
- Rohith's death must focus attention on the rites of exclusion in the university
- Telescope: State in the bedroom
- The economy is best served by lowering interest rates and blocking protectionism