Cong shortlists 30 women candidates
- Rail Budget 2015: No hike in passenger fares, Prabhu promises modern rail network
- Rail Budget: Ally Shiv Sena not satisfied, but Mulayam says Prabhu has done a 'good job'
- Rail Budget futuristic and passenger centric: PM Modi
- PDP, BJP thrash out differences; all clear for Mufti-Modi meeting tomorrow
- Hummer horror: Senior policeman suspended for secretly meeting Kerala businessman
The state Congress has shortlisted 30 women candidates from around 150 aspirants seeking to contest the December Assembly elections on the party ticket.
Gujarat Pradesh Mahila Congress president Sonal Patel, who was in the city to mobilise women party workers from central Gujarat, said the list of shortlisted candidates has been sent to senior party functionaries who will take a final call soon.
"After the election process set rolling, our senior leaders were asked to find at least one woman candidate in each district. More than 150 women had sought party ticket," she said.
Patel said the party has persuaded the remaining candidates to participate in training so that they could mobilise women voters and strengthen party's hold at local level. "We have called in every woman who asked for ticket and asked them to work with a political understanding so that when there are local elections, they will be able to perform better, even if they fail to get ticket," she said.
"We have been training women and have held workshops and trainings for women workers and supporters. We are also running booth management programmes for women. We will involve 700-750 women in each constituency...," Patel said.