Cong shortlists 30 women candidates
- Aamir Khan responds, says 'Proud to be Indian, stand by what I said'
- GST is in the interest of the nation, says PM Modi at all-party meet
- Rescued Russian pilot says no warning from Turkey before jet downed
- 'Suit boot ki sarkar' is failing because there are no jobs: Rahul Gandhi
- BJP strategy in Parliament: Aggression is the best form of defense
The state Congress has shortlisted 30 women candidates from around 150 aspirants seeking to contest the December Assembly elections on the party ticket.
Gujarat Pradesh Mahila Congress president Sonal Patel, who was in the city to mobilise women party workers from central Gujarat, said the list of shortlisted candidates has been sent to senior party functionaries who will take a final call soon.
"After the election process set rolling, our senior leaders were asked to find at least one woman candidate in each district. More than 150 women had sought party ticket," she said.
Patel said the party has persuaded the remaining candidates to participate in training so that they could mobilise women voters and strengthen party's hold at local level. "We have called in every woman who asked for ticket and asked them to work with a political understanding so that when there are local elections, they will be able to perform better, even if they fail to get ticket," she said.
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?
- Telescope: Aamir and Chinese whispers
- What Manmohan Singh really think about the Planning Commission?
- Going solar
- Newspaper is supposed to expose corruption and injustice wherever it finds it