Cong to stage dharna against delay in fixing MSP for sugarcane
- India goes to poll in 9 phases from April 7 to May 12; vote count on May 16
- Sheila Dikshit appointed Kerala Governor; Congress-RJD pact likely today
- You told us go to hell, says Supreme Court, sends Subrata Roy to jail
- For âcheeringâ Pakistan in India match, university in Meerut suspends 67 Kashmiri students
- Attacker, victim: 2 faces of Gujarat riots come together for âHindu-Muslimâ unity
Uttar Pradesh Congress will stage a dharna next week for early declaration of support price for sugarcane and for starting of crushing season by sugar mills, a party release issued here today said.
Uttar Pradesh Congress Committee president Nirmal Khatri has directed all district presidents to call upon all block presidents, former MLAs, MPs, senior party members and members of frontal organisations to organise a dharna at their district headquarters to push for a minimum of Rs 325 as support price per quintal of sugarcane, the release said, adding that the district presidents have also been directed to submit a memorandum to the governor through the respective district magistrates. Last season, Rs 240 was decided as the minimum support price for sugarcane, which was insufficient, and as the cost of production has gone up this year, the state government should increase the price to Rs 325, Khatri said. "The date of the dharna will be decided by the district presidents themselves," Congress spokesperson Virendra Madan said.
Khatri said if sugarcane is not harvested for long, it reduces the recovery of sugar which leads to the farmer selling his produce to the mill or to the middlemen at cheap prices. Last year there were reports of sugarcane being burnt, he added. Keeping this in mind, the state government should immediately issue directives to mills for immediate purchase of sugarcane and declare the support price at the earliest, Khatri said.