Cong will work towards resolving vexed Naga issue: Sonia Gandhi
- EC issues show cause notice to Mulayam Singh Yadav for violation of poll code
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7: KXIP chase 206, beat CSK by six wickets
Congress on Thursday said it would work towards resolving the contentious Naga political issue at the earliest.
"It was the Congress-led UPA government that took the bold decision to invite NSCN-IM leaders for talks which was going on for a year now to ensure that peace was achieved," Congress president Sonia Gandhi said while formally launching the party campaign for the February 23 Assembly elections in Nagaland.
She said if Congress is voted to power in the state, it would work towards finding a solution to the vexed political problem of the Nagas as early as possible.
"The Congress has always been committed to preserve the Naga identity and developing the Naga way of life," Gandhi, dressed in a colourful Naga mekhela (skirt) and shawl, told the rally here.
In her 15 minute speech, she recalled that it was her party which gave special status to Nagaland through Article 371(A) of the Constitution.
She said this was a historic opportunity for the Naga people as the Congress was committed to take the peace process forward and do the utmost to ensure that peace returned to Nagaland in a manner which was honourable and acceptable to all the sections of the people.
Gandhi said the experience of people of the state in the last 10 years under the ruling Naga People's Front-led Democratic Alliance is bad as it neglected and wasted opportunities.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer