Congress 2014 plan: Rahul Gandhi to lead, Sonia Gandhi ‘patron’
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats BJP PM candidate Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- BJP complains to EC over St Xavier principal's criticism of Modi's Guj model of development
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi attacks Gandhis, says family going strong for 60 years, time to build a strong nation
Asked about reported remarks by the Congress president's political secretary, Ahmed Patel, that Rahul will lead the campaign in 2014, party spokesperson P C Chacko confirmed the same, adding that the general secretary will take up an important responsibility in the party "very soon". Asked what role Sonia will play, Chacko said: "She is the president now. She will be the patron. She will be the supreme leader of the party."
To a question whether Rahul would be projected as the prime ministerial candidate, he said that it will be decided after the elections. As for PM Manmohan Singh, Chacko said, "This has no relation. The government will continue till 2014. He is the Prime Minister till 2014." Last month, Rahul was made head of the Congress election coordination committee for the 2014 polls.
The Congress also justified Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde complimenting the party for the appointment of Asif Ibrahim as Intelligence Bureau (IB) chief. Addressing an election meeting in Gujarat Sunday, Shinde had said the Congress took care of the poor and minorities. "I am a Dalit and the Congress has made me a minister. Similarly, the Congress has made a person whose name is Ibrahim the chief of IB," he had stated.
Asked about it, Chacko said: "It's the party which takes decisions that the government implements. (Sonia) Gandhi gives directions to the government. There is nothing wrong in complimenting Gandhi (for Ibrahim's appointment)."
Rahul will be in Gujarat on Tuesday, addressing three public meetings. Incidentally, even as the Congress waits for him to play an important role, he is putting in an appearance in the state only on the last day of campaigning for the first phase of polls, scheduled for December 13.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target against Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'