Congress declares by-poll candidates
- LIVE: Ashutosh taken away for questioning; AAP gets EC notice over clashes with BJP
- I am more qualified for PM post than Narendra Modi: Nitish Kumar
- SC adjourns Centreâs plea restraining TN from releasing Rajiv killers till March 26
- âMamata is hiring honesty from Maharashtra through Annaâ
- Mumbai dailies laud Kamat, he denies he paid for the ânewsâ
The Congress high command on Monday announced the names of its candidates for the by-elections for the seats of Nalhati, English Bazar and Rejinagar. This would be the first poll battle between the Congress and the Trinamool Congress after the pull-out of the latter from the UPA.
The Left Front and the Trinamool Congress have already declared the names of their candidates for the seats.
The Congress announced the names of Abidur Rehman for Nalhati in Birbhum, Narendra Tewary for English Bazar in Malda and Rabiul Alam Choudhury for Reginagar in Murshidabad district. While Nalhati became vacant following the incumbent MLA Abhijit Mukherjee becoming MP of Jangipur, English Bazar was vacated following incumbent Congress MLA Krishnendu Narayan Choudhury joining TMC and becoming Minister for Tourism. Reginagar too got vacated following MLA Humayun Kabir joining TMC and becoming Minister of State for Animal Resources Development.
Announcing the names of the candidates, Shaqueel Ahmed, AICC observer for West Bengal said what TMC chief Mamata Banerjee did was 'unethical'. "They are all traditional Congress seats. She should not have fielded candidates form there. What she did was totally unethical," Ahmed said in Delhi.
- No jobs for students of state’s first dairy, fisheries colleges
- Mayor blames contractors for bad roads, says better material to be used now
- New police chief says smooth polls his top priority for now
- Battleground ready, tough fight on cards in Pune
- Gadkari visits PU for cultural event, crowd gets out of control
- Govt vehicle hits two visually impaired students