Congress flexes muscle, targets Mamata govt
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR field, Southee makes his IPL debut against CSK
Slams state 'apathy' for AIIMS-like hospital in Raiganj.
The state Congress today took out a massive rally to protest against the alleged atrocities of the ruling Trinamool Congress as well as the state's "apathy" towards land acquisition for the proposed AIIMS-like hospital in Raiganj.
Three simultaneous rallies were held at three places — Rani Rashmoni Square, Phears Lane and Brabourne Road.
Along with West Bengal Pradesh Congress Committee president Pradip Bhattacharya, senior Congress leaders such as Abdul Mannan, Abu Hasem Khan Chowdhury and Nirbed Ray were present at the gathering at Rani Rashmoni Square.
The speakers covered nearly all topical issues — from Arabul Islam to Mir Amirul Islam — and sent out a stern message to the Trinamool, which was their ally once.
"If Mamata supported the venture, her government could have claimed a big share of the credit of setting up the hospital, but she is opposing it only because of her huge ego. But we will see to it that the hospital is built there at any cost," Bhattacharya said.
"The fact is, in this case, the farmers are willing to sell their land for the hospital. Because it is an initiative of Priya Ranjan Dasmunshi, Mamata doesn't want the project to see the light of the day," he added.
The state Congress president said that from January 28, for seven days there will be processions and demonstrations at every block and law violation programmes in every district against the "tyranny".
Union minister of state for urban development Deepa Dasmunshi said Mamata was opposed to the hospital. Pointing out at a group of 84 farmers from Raiganj, who she claimed were owners of 110 acres of land where the campus of AIIMS could be built, at the rally on Phears Lane said all the farmers were willing to give away their land.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'