Congress flexes muscle, targets Mamata govt
- India’s surgical strikes along LoC show intent to act strongly against terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls up Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror'
- PM Modi holds Cabinet Committee on Security meeting; Rajnath, Jaitley, Doval present
- Narendra Modi's review meet on MFN status to Pak postponed to next week
- Day after sharing terror information with Pakistan, NIA revises details
Slams state 'apathy' for AIIMS-like hospital in Raiganj.
The state Congress today took out a massive rally to protest against the alleged atrocities of the ruling Trinamool Congress as well as the state's "apathy" towards land acquisition for the proposed AIIMS-like hospital in Raiganj.
Three simultaneous rallies were held at three places — Rani Rashmoni Square, Phears Lane and Brabourne Road.
Along with West Bengal Pradesh Congress Committee president Pradip Bhattacharya, senior Congress leaders such as Abdul Mannan, Abu Hasem Khan Chowdhury and Nirbed Ray were present at the gathering at Rani Rashmoni Square.
The speakers covered nearly all topical issues — from Arabul Islam to Mir Amirul Islam — and sent out a stern message to the Trinamool, which was their ally once.
"If Mamata supported the venture, her government could have claimed a big share of the credit of setting up the hospital, but she is opposing it only because of her huge ego. But we will see to it that the hospital is built there at any cost," Bhattacharya said.
"The fact is, in this case, the farmers are willing to sell their land for the hospital. Because it is an initiative of Priya Ranjan Dasmunshi, Mamata doesn't want the project to see the light of the day," he added.
The state Congress president said that from January 28, for seven days there will be processions and demonstrations at every block and law violation programmes in every district against the "tyranny".
Union minister of state for urban development Deepa Dasmunshi said Mamata was opposed to the hospital. Pointing out at a group of 84 farmers from Raiganj, who she claimed were owners of 110 acres of land where the campus of AIIMS could be built, at the rally on Phears Lane said all the farmers were willing to give away their land.
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment
- Edit - Come clean