Congress nominates two to MC committees
- Live, Ind vs Aus: Quick strikes put India on top
- Bengal nun gangrape: First arrest made from Mumbai
- Germanwings crash: Chilling report says one pilot left cockpit, was unable to return
- If anything that is defamatory goes off, we will have a very boring Internet: Jaitley
- Hooda govt bent rules to favour Robert Vadra firm: CAG
The opposition Congress finally nominated its members to two major bodies of the Municipal Corporation — finance and house tax committees.
The decision came six months after the MC elections took place.
While Sanjay Talwar and Gurpreet Gogi were nominated to finance and house tax committee respectively, councillor Balkar Sandhu was nominated as chairman of Ludhiana Congress councillors.
Bharat Bhushan Ashoo, MLA, Ludhiana (west), said, "As per the orders of Captain Amarinder Singh and nomination letters sent by him, they are our official nominees for finance committee and house tax committee. We gave those letters to the councillors concerned."
The opposition had elected Hemraj Aggarwal as its leader recently after a lot of delay due to factionalism in the party and lack of consensus after which Captain Amarinder Singh called for elections. Thus for the first time, elections were held in Chandigarh to elect the leader of opposition.
The MC house has not met even once since the elections except to elect the mayor.