Congress out of race for Visavadar
- IAF An-32 aircraft missing: Manohar Parrikar undertakes aerial survey of search operations
- Hillary Clinton picks Tim Kaine as running mate
- Judith D'souza, Indian kidnapped in Kabul, rescued: Sushma Swaraj
- Bhagwant Mann interview: 'I just wanted to show system of draw of lots in Zero Hour'
- Toll climbs to 46, Rajnath visits Kashmir valley today
The Congress is out of contest for the Visavadar seat even before polling. After scrutiny of nomination papers on Monday, the Election Commission rejected the candidature of Ratilal Mangrolia of the Congress for not providing the party 'mandate' in time.
This has paved the way for a straight fight between GPP president and former chief minister Keshubhai Patel and BJP MLA Kanubhai Bhalala for this constituency in Junagadh district.
EC officials said the mandate — the letter from the party that confirms a person being its official candidate — of Mangrolia was submitted five minutes after the deadline of 3 pm on Saturday, which was the last day of filing of nominations for the first phase of elections on December 13.
According to Congress leaders, an unidentified youth had snatched away the mandate from the hand of district party president Leela Khunti and fled when he went to Visavadar to hand over the paper to Mangoralia.
In the first list, the Congress had announced Harshad Ribadiya as its nominee for Visavadar. It was later changed to Mangoralia.
Traditionally, the seat has been with the BJP. Keshubhai, who left the BJP this year to form Gujarat Parivartan Party, had won the seat in 1995 and 1998 and became CM.
Party 'replaces' its candidate for ST-reserved Gandevi seat
The Congress on Monday cancelled the nomination of its firebrand MLA Kunwarji Harpati for the Gandevi constituency in Navsari district and gave the 'mandate' to former MLA Bharti Patel.
Gandevi is a reserved seat for Scheduled Tribes and Harpati, who represents Bardoli constituency in the Assembly, belongs to a Scheduled Caste.
Earlier, the Congress had given ticket to Bardoli MLA Harpati who filed his nomination papers a few days ago. Patel had also filled her nomination as a 'dummy candidate'.
- Article 370 was honoured in the breach and the autonomy promised to J&K has been chipped away from time to time
- Violence against Dalits is not something that began in past two years as the tenor of debate in Parliament
- Arvind Kejriwal is uncomfortable with anyone with a mind of his own.
- Not just the Arunachal switch but the choice of Sheila Dikshit for the UP are warnings to the BJP
- Gujarat unrest shows while Dalit lives have improved, conflict has increased
- Zakir Naik is ‘protected’ as an Indian citizen but he considers himself a Muslim first