Congress suspends UP leaders over Priyanka hoarding that termed Sonia as unwell
- Defiant Giriraj stands by his remark, says Pakistan trying to stop Narendra Modi from becoming PM
- Modi attacks Gandhis again, wonders how Rahul can lead country when he can't handle Amethi
- Vote for BSP to keep fascist forces, dynasty rule at bay: Mayawati to Muslims
- Emissary row: Sanjay Saraf dismisses reports of carrying any message from BJP
- IPL 7 Live Score, RR vs KXIP: Watson departs after scoring scintillating fifty
Uttar Pradesh Congress on Wednesday suspended two office bearers for putting up hoardings stating party president Sonia Gandhi is unwell and urging her daughter Priyanka to contest upcoming polls from Phoolpur constituency.
"UPCC president Nirmal Khatri has directed the district unit of Allahabad to suspend secretary Haseeb Ahmed and Srishchand Dubey, on whose names the hoardings were set up in the busy Civil Lines area of Allahabad," said UPCC spokesman Dwijendra Tripathi.
"Some outsiders are getting these things done into the party and are depicting party chief Sonia Gandhi as unwell and the party has taken a strong note of it," he said, adding, that if required a case would also be lodged against them.
Tripathi said Sonia Gandhi is ably looking after party affairs and leading it but some people are out to damage her and party's image.
According to party sources, hoardings on the same lines had come up in Allahabad during the Assembly elections but it was ignored.
The hoardings that came up in Allahabad declared Sonia Gandhi as unwell, Rahul Gandhi as overburdened, and urged Priyanka Gandhi Vadra to contest from the constituency of Phoolpur and help the party return to power for a third time.
The Phoolpur constituency was once represented by late prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru.
The hoarding also carried pictures of Sonia Gandhi, Rahul and Priyanka Gandhi besides that of the two suspended leaders.