Congress to rake up issue of riot victims
Congress will hold protests in Meerut next month against the "failure of the Akhilesh Yadav government to provide shelter to riot victims in relief camps."
Apart from raising the issue of riot victims, it will also raise the issue of pending dues to sugarcane farmers. The protest — third in the state —will be organised without the support of Congress ally — the RLD.
The first protest was held in Lucknow against "the non-implementation of food security scheme", the second was held more recently in Varanasi on the issue of poor law and order.
"We have zeroed in on Meerut, as it is close to the riot-affected region and also happens to be a major hub for sugarcane farmers after Saharanpur and Muzaffarnagar," Congress state president Nirmal Khatri told The Indian Express.
Khatri said the dates (for the protest) will be finalised in the cadre review meeting called by the AICC general secretary Madhusudan Mistry in Lucknow on December 31 and Jaunary 1.
- Poojary banking on ‘sympathy’ for Dakshina Kannada seat
- Solution to water woes key factor in Chikkaballapur
- Eying 85 pc turnout, election dept offers many sops
- Last day, last show: Parties flex muscles, try to connect with one & all
- From societies to slums, Adhalrao-Patil on the move
- Two and a half lakh Christians in city are confused over electing the ‘right’ candidate