Conman dupes hotels, runs up bills in lakhs
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- How can Modi honour women if he canât mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Mewat simmers after poll clash, killing of Muslim youth
- After rare skull surgery at AIIMS, twins from Kerala look like each other
- For hate speech, EC orders UP not to let Amit Shah, Azam campaign
An alleged conman was arrested late Sunday for having put up in at least three luxury hotels in Kolkata for days impersonating as a senior company executive.
Vikas Beri's luck ran out after a luxury hotel on Park Street filed a complaint that he had checked-out without paying the bill running into lakhs, asking the hotel to mail the bill to a reputed company he claimed he was working for, Kolkata police sources said.However, when the hotel contacted the said company, the firm said it had no such official, after which an FIR was lodged. A police team kept tab on Beri's movement and finally caught him from a three-star hotel in the Salt Lake area this evening.
Beri, a resident of Tollygunge area of the city, had stayed in the Park Street hotel from December 6 to 21 and had eaten there with his friends, the hotel said in its complaint.
The sources said Beri had checked in the Salt Lake hotel using the name of another firm and was running bill amounting to thousands of rupees when his luck finally ran out.
During interrogation, Beri, a former call centre employee, accepted having used the same trick to enjoy the hospitality of a five-star hotel in the New Town area of the city a few months back.
Police were now checking if any other city hotels had faced similar situations in the past year or so.Beri, who used different names while checking in at the hotels, had lost his call centre job sometimes back, the sources said.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit