Consensus emerges on Nitin Gadkari's second term as BJP president
- Delhi High Court raps MCD for strike, says common people are suffering
- Delhi air will never be safe because of its geographical disadvantage: Panel tells High Court
- Tanzanian student targeted because she was black, says envoy
- Supreme Court tells BCCI: Fall in line, Lodha panel report deserves respect
- Adarsh scam: CBI gets Maha Governor's nod to prosecute Ashok Chavan
A consensus seems to have emerged on giving a second term to Nitin Gadkari as the BJP president in coming elections for the post, a notification of which would be issued shortly.
Senior party leader L K Advani has come around with the view that Gadkari, who is set to file his nomination, be given a second term as no consensus could be arrived at on any other candidates, party sources said today.
Till last week, there was an exercise between Advani's camp and Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS) to arrive at a consensus candidate.
According to the sources, Advani, who had reservation about Gadkari getting a second term because of charges about dubious funding of Purti Group with which he was associated, had earlier suggested the name of Ravi Shankar Prasad for the post of party president.
Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj's name had also figured in the discussion, but she herself has not shown much keenness on occupying the post.
While Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi's name was also doing the rounds, party leaders ruled out the possibility saying he does not figure in Advani's list of probables.
Modi himself is not interested in becoming party president though he could play a key role in the election management for BJP at the central level for the next Lok Sabha elections, they said.
RSS has been pitching for a second term for Gadkari with Sangh chief Mohan Bhagwat himself backing him. It feels Gadkari who took over soon after the BJP's second consecutive Lok Sabha poll defeat should lead the party in the next elections.
The task he had undertaken three years back is still yet to be completed, it felt.
BJP mum over squabbling on giving a second term for Gadkari
BJP today parried questions over reported squabbling within the party for giving a second term to incumbent president Nitin Gadkari.
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2
- Rohith’s despair speaks of the collective failure of the teaching community
- Mehbooba Mufti has held out CBMs for the BJP-PDP coalition
- What if we cannot poke a little innocent fun at one another
- Outcome on Section 377 will depend on composition of the Constitution bench
- Inadequate staff, payment delays undermine MGNREGA in drought-hit Mahabubnagar