Constable arrested, 3 policemen suspended for 'rape' in police station
- Hamid Ansari row: Govt apologises for Madhav's tweets
- Govt proposes income tax benefit for debit/credit card payments
- Telangana govt clears 17 projects worth Rs 1500 crore in 10 days
- India's tour of Zimbabwe cancelled due to broadcasting rights issue
- Greece bailout: Europe cautiously optimistic, final decision to be reached in a week
A constable was arrested and three more policemen, including a Sub-Inspector were suspended on Wednesday over the alleged rape of a teenaged Dalit girl at SR Puram police station, near Tirupati.
A high-level probe into the incident is on, police said, adding that the report on the medical examination of the girl, admitted to the Chittoor Government hospital, 70 km from here, would come out this evening or tomorrow.
The policemen -- a Sub Inspector, an Assistant Sub Inspector and a constable were suspended for 'negligence in duty,' they said.
The constable was remanded to judicial custody after being produced in a local court in Puttur near SR Puram,police said.
A Dalit leader, in his petition filed before the SP, Chittoor district yesterday, said the girl was brought from a nearby village to the police station for questioning on a complaint of an elopement case on February 2. She was detained in the station that night.
When her parents came to the police station the next day, the girl told them she was sexually assaulted by the constable, he said.
The petitioner also alleged that police had refused to register a case when the girl's parents tried to lodged a complaint.