Constable arrested, 3 policemen suspended for 'rape' in police station
- PDP, BJP seal alliance to form government in Jammu & Kashmir
- RK Pachauri, accused of sexual harassment, quits UN climate change panel
- Centre's land bill is anti-farmer, says Kejriwal at Anna protest rally
- SpiceJet launches low-fare offer for Holi; one lakh seats on the block
- BJP defends Bhagwat, claims Mother Teresa admitted she was not a social worker
A constable was arrested and three more policemen, including a Sub-Inspector were suspended on Wednesday over the alleged rape of a teenaged Dalit girl at SR Puram police station, near Tirupati.
A high-level probe into the incident is on, police said, adding that the report on the medical examination of the girl, admitted to the Chittoor Government hospital, 70 km from here, would come out this evening or tomorrow.
The policemen -- a Sub Inspector, an Assistant Sub Inspector and a constable were suspended for 'negligence in duty,' they said.
The constable was remanded to judicial custody after being produced in a local court in Puttur near SR Puram,police said.
A Dalit leader, in his petition filed before the SP, Chittoor district yesterday, said the girl was brought from a nearby village to the police station for questioning on a complaint of an elopement case on February 2. She was detained in the station that night.
When her parents came to the police station the next day, the girl told them she was sexually assaulted by the constable, he said.
The petitioner also alleged that police had refused to register a case when the girl's parents tried to lodged a complaint.