Constable on ventilator support
- Manohar Parrikar sticks to stand, warns of action against Coast Guard officer
- Coast Guard DIG on video: Blow the Pak boat off, we don’t want to serve them biryani
- Clean chit to AAP: Nothing wrong with foreign funding, Centre tells HC
- Fake encounter case: D G Vanzara walks free; says "Acche Din" have arrived
- Defence is at heart of Make in India programme, says PM Modi at Bangalore Aero show
In the Sunday clash at India Gate between unruly protesters and security personnel, 78 policemen were among the 150 injured.
Police said Constable Subhash Tomar of Karawal Nagar police station is in critical condition and has been put on ventilator support. "He suffered cardiac arrest. He was later revived and is now on ventilator support," Jagdish Prasad, Director General Health Services, said.
At least 80 people were taken to RML Hospital and 14 to LN Hospital. Doctors said most suffered head injuries or minor fractures. All injured, except Tomar, were discharged after treatment.
Police said Joint Commissioner of Police (Central) Taj Hassan, Additional DCP (New Delhi) Sanjay Tyagi, DCP (Outer) Bhola Shankar and Additional Commissioner of Police (New Delhi) K C Dwivedi were also injured.
Sachin Kumar (30) received six stitches on his leg. "There was utter chaos due to mismanagement on the part of police. This led to a situation of stampede," he said.
"We were protesting peacefully near Amar Jawan Jyoti. We were injured after police resorted to violence," Arvind Gaur, who heads Asmita theatre group, said.