Construction of multilevel parking lot further delayed
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Four policemen, two polling officers killed in Maoist attack
- Thousands turn up at Narendra Modi's Varanasi roadshow, BJP's PM candidate files nomination papers
- From Marandi vs Soren to Deora vs Sanyal: Top 5 battles in Lok Sabha polls Phase 6
- Rahul Gandhi joins sister Priyanka in attacking Narendra Modi on snoopgate
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, KKR vs RCB: KKR manage 150/7 against RCB
City residents might have to wait longer for the construction of the multilevel parking lot in Sector 17 to start. The environmental clearance of the plan is pending before the Chandigarh Pollution Control Committee (CPCC). However, the tenure of the committee of experts that is to accord clearance has ended. While the tenure ended in August, the notification of the new committee is awaited.
The Municipal Corporation had mooted the proposal for construction of a multilevel parking lot a year ago.
The Gurdev parking lot is the site earmarked for the purpose. While the civic body was about to finalize a date around a month ago to lay the foundation stone, it was realized that environmental clearances would be required before constructing the parking lot.
A consultant was hired for the purpose who prepared the plan and submitted it to CPCC. However, the tenure of the committee of experts has ended. Till the notification of the names for the new committee is not done, the multilevel parking lot would not get clearance.
An official of the Municipal Corporation said that the environmental clearance was sought from the CPCC. But they have no committee at present, so the wait is on. Once the clearance is given, the construction would start.
The project had earlier met with roadblocks when the plan was being prepared. The initial plan that was prepared was changed after it was found that the foundation of the adjoining shops might be affected as the parking lot was to have a three-storeyed basement. The parking lot was then shifted to a few metres away.
The plans were finally approved a few months back.
The first parking lot that the MC had proposed in Sector 17 could not come up due to several delays. The project is still in arbitration.
- At least 65 EVMs replaced in six Lok Sabha seats in Assam
- Twitter cofounder talks of 26/11, Indian farmers in new book
- UP records over 24 pc voter turnout till 11 AM, 20 per cent turnout in Chhattisgarh
- Arvind Kejriwal lashes out at BJP for attack on Somnath Bharti
- ANF official accused of killing youth a gallantry award winner
- Maharashtra: Poor turnout till 9 am in third phase of polling