Contempt of court petition filed against MC Commissioner
- Live: Hurriyat hardliner Masarat Alam's release rocks Parliament, Cong seeks PM's statement
- Dimapur lynching: On social media, first ‘rape’, then ‘Bangladesh man’
- Seconds before being stabbed, Indian techie called husband to say she was being followed
- Land acquisition debate: ‘They gave us a window, then went back to 1894’
- Beef ban may spell doom for Dharavi leather trade
A city-based RTI activist, Rohit Sabharwal, has filed a contempt of court petition in the high court against permanent encroachments which have not been removed. The petition was admitted on Monday and the next date of hearing is on March 2. Municipal Corporation Commissioner Rakesh Kumar Verma and MTP Raj Kumar have been sent notices in this petition.
The complainant said that in July 2012 he had sought information through RTI regarding pending encroachments in the city and according to the information given by Zone A, B, C and D, a total of 4,506 encroachments remained. In separate information sought in August 2012, the MC Town Planning wing had replied that in the past six months only 32 encroachments had been removed. In addition to this, it was also stated that till date no survey had been conducted to find out the actual number of encroachments and whether the removed encroachments had been rebuilt.
Rohit said, "On the basis of the RTI information, I filed contempt petition because in a petition filed in 2009, high court had ordered MC Ludhiana that encroachments should be removed within six months. However the information clearly says that 4,506 encroachments are still standing."
The encroachments are spread all over the city out of which 2152 are in Zone A, 1029 in zone B, only 256 in zone C and 1069 in Zone D area.