Controversy surrounds constable's death
A fresh controversy today arose over the cause of death of Constable Subhash Tomar during violent demonstrations last Sunday with a government hospital and eyewitnesses contradicting police version that he sustained injuries in the attack by protesters.
Even as the report of the post-mortem done on the 47-year-old Constable, who succumbed to injuries yesterday allegedly sustained during Sunday violence, was not out different versions emerged.
Dr T S Sidhu, Medical Superintendent of Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital where Tomar was brought for treatment, said, "he came in a state of total collapse and our doctors revived him and as he was not stable, we shifted him to the Intensive Care Unit. He was on ventilator."
The doctor said there was no "major external injury marks except for some cuts and bruises".
Asked whether it was a case of cardiac arrest, the doctor said, "I don't know. That is not my comment. He came, he was in serious shock and we revived him. In all our records, there are no severe internal injuries recorded but the post-mortem will tell everything."
A journalism student Yogendra, who claimed to be an eye- witness, contradicted police version that Constable Tomar was beaten up by protesters leading to his death, saying he fell down on his own.
Delhi Police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat said doctors who have conducted the post-mortem told them that he had suffered internal injuries.
"Doctors who conducted the post mortem of Tomar had told us that there were injuries in stomach, chest and neck and post-mortem report will only tell the cause of death.
"If we give any comment before we read the report, it will be premature. Therefore, we request you not to make it an issue. We haven't declare the cause of death so far," he said.
After questions were raised, Delhi Police assigned its Crime Branch to investigate the case in which murder charges have been invoked.