Cop attempts suicide in Vidhan Bhavan
- Submarine mishaps: Navy had raised alarm with PMO, Defence Ministry
- Sahara chief Subrata Roy sent to police custody till March 4
- Petrol price hiked by 60 paise per litre, diesel by 50 paise
- Chhattisgarh: Six policemen killed in Naxal ambush
- IPL betting probe: Senior Tamil Nadu cop suspended for violation of 'conduct rules'
Aurangabad woman constable claims sexual harassment by seniors.
A suspended 25-year-old woman police constable from Aurangabad allegedly attempted suicide at Vidhan Bhavan Wednesday evening by consuming a pesticide.
She was rushed to G T Hospital and is stable.
Marine Drive police said Amruta Akolkar, who had claimed sexual harassment by seniors last year, came to Vidhan Bhavan with brother Anuj at 5 pm Wednesday to seek an audience with state home minister R R Patil.
She registered her name at the office of the minister before consuming the pesticide she had brought along.
"She had come to meet the home minister and wanted to be reinstated but consumed the substance before going upstairs to his office. Policemen at Vidhan Bhavan rushed her G T Hospital. Marine Drive police have recorded her statement," said Shivaji Kolekar, ACP (Colaba Divison).
Akolkar is being treated at Bombay Hospital.
"She was brought here at 5.45 pm and we administered preliminary treatment. We inserted a tube in her stomach and removed 90 per cent of the pesticide. She was conscious throughout the procedure. On the insistence of her relatives, she was later shifted to Bombay Hospital," said an officer at G T Hospital.
In August last year, Akolkar had filed a complaint with the state women commission alleging sexual harassment by ACPs Sandeep Bhajibhakre, Naresh Meghrajani and K S Bahure.
Police said she stayed away from work since November 22 and was placed under suspension. She was not in her Satara home between December 13 and 16.
Her mother Shobha told police she came to know of the disappearance only after Bhajibhakre called to ask.
- Love and thereabouts
- Youth Akali Dal leaders open fire in front of Akali leader’s home, 3 hurt
- Raarewala market: Shopkeepers threaten LS election boycott; Ayali, mayor swing into action
- Techie murder: 2 months on, cops land in UP on wild goose chase, lens on taxi, auto drivers
- Deoband cleric declares support for Narendra Modi
- Row in British parliament complex over Narendra Modi’s past