Cop attempts suicide in Vidhan Bhavan
- BJP rubbishes Geelani's claim, calls separatist leader's 'Modi emissary talk' as 'false and mischievous'
- Modi's jibe at Mulayam: âBalaatkariyon ke liye Netaji ka mann ekdum mulayam haiâ
- Malaysian Airlines MH370: 4 questions about missing plane answered
- After denying a 'Modi wave', Joshi endorses Modi as India's next PM
- Elections 2014 LIVE: If Congress comes to power again, 40, 000 farmers will benefit, says Sonia
Aurangabad woman constable claims sexual harassment by seniors.
A suspended 25-year-old woman police constable from Aurangabad allegedly attempted suicide at Vidhan Bhavan Wednesday evening by consuming a pesticide.
She was rushed to G T Hospital and is stable.
Marine Drive police said Amruta Akolkar, who had claimed sexual harassment by seniors last year, came to Vidhan Bhavan with brother Anuj at 5 pm Wednesday to seek an audience with state home minister R R Patil.
She registered her name at the office of the minister before consuming the pesticide she had brought along.
"She had come to meet the home minister and wanted to be reinstated but consumed the substance before going upstairs to his office. Policemen at Vidhan Bhavan rushed her G T Hospital. Marine Drive police have recorded her statement," said Shivaji Kolekar, ACP (Colaba Divison).
Akolkar is being treated at Bombay Hospital.
"She was brought here at 5.45 pm and we administered preliminary treatment. We inserted a tube in her stomach and removed 90 per cent of the pesticide. She was conscious throughout the procedure. On the insistence of her relatives, she was later shifted to Bombay Hospital," said an officer at G T Hospital.
In August last year, Akolkar had filed a complaint with the state women commission alleging sexual harassment by ACPs Sandeep Bhajibhakre, Naresh Meghrajani and K S Bahure.
Police said she stayed away from work since November 22 and was placed under suspension. She was not in her Satara home between December 13 and 16.
Her mother Shobha told police she came to know of the disappearance only after Bhajibhakre called to ask.