Cop charged with forcing woman colleague to watch blue film
- April 24 elections roundup: Four policemen, two polling officers killed in Maoist attack
- Thousands turn up at Narendra Modi's Varanasi roadshow, BJP's PM candidate files nomination papers
- From Marandi vs Soren to Deora vs Sanyal: Top 5 battles in Lok Sabha polls Phase 6
- Rahul Gandhi joins sister Priyanka in attacking Narendra Modi on snoopgate
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, KKR vs RCB: RCB strong in chase against KKR
A Delhi Police man has been charged by a court here with outraging the modesty of his subordinate Additional Sub-Inspector at workplace by forcing her to watch a blue film and making advances towards her.
Metropolitan Magistrate Ekta Gauba has charged a Sub-Inspector posted in the office of DCP (West) with outrgaing the modesty of a woman ASI in 2010, holding that a prima facie case is made against out against him.
"From the allegations, offence under section 509 IPC (word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman) is prima facie made out as accused has shown obscene film to the complainant.
"In view of the fact that he has used criminal force with intention to outrage the modesty of the complainant by touching indecently the body of the complainant as well as kissing her, the offence under section 354 IPC (assault or criminal force to a woman with intent to outrage her modesty) is prima facie made out," the MM said.
The court rejected the accused's contention that he had been implicated in the case by the complainant as he has complained against her for not reporting on duty on time.
"Sexual harassment of working women amounts to violation of rights of gender equality and right to life and liberty and also as a logical consequence amounts to violation of right to practice any profession, occupation or trade," the court said relying on a Supreme Court judgement.
"In the present case, sexual harassment of women at work place has been alleged by the complainant being a junior police officer and subordinate to the accused who is also a senior police officer," the court noted.
The incident dates back to August 1, 2010. The victim has in her complaint said that on the said date, she was posted on Sunday duty in DCP (West) office and entrusted with feeding the mobile numbers of police personnel deployed in Commonwealth Games related work.
- At least 65 EVMs replaced in six Lok Sabha seats in Assam
- Twitter cofounder talks of 26/11, Indian farmers in new book
- UP records over 24 pc voter turnout till 11 AM, 20 per cent turnout in Chhattisgarh
- Arvind Kejriwal lashes out at BJP for attack on Somnath Bharti
- ANF official accused of killing youth a gallantry award winner
- Maharashtra: Poor turnout till 9 am in third phase of polling