Cop killed in Masuri accident was a witness in Aarushi murder case
- Supreme Court issues notice to Goa Police on Tejpal's bail plea in sexual assault case
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Bismillah Khan's family says no to propose Narendra Modi's candidature in Varanasi
- 78 pc turnout, but few can show ink mark
- Giriraj Singh stands by his Pak remark; BJP dissociates itself from him
- RSS appeal to âmajorityâ: Vote or become history
Sub-Inspector Jagbir Singh Malik, who was listed as a witness in the Aarushi Talwar and Hemraj double murder case, was one of the three policemen killed in an accident in Masuri last week.
On the night of September 20, a Canter had ploughed into a tea stall where policemen were resting, killing three and injuring six other policemen.
They were on duty, enforcing Section 144 of the Code of Criminal Procedure in the region, after violence broke out when desecrated pages of the Quran was found at a nearby railway station on September 14.
In the aftermath of the accident, personnel of the Provincial Armed Constabulary damaged four vehicles and set the the Canter on fire. Malik was posted at the Kavinagar police station in Ghaziabad.
CBI officials said while Malik was not a key witness, he had been the investigating officer in the case for one day. "In the closure report, Malik was listed as witness number 120. No statement by him was recorded as per Section 161 of the CRPC by the investigating agency. In 2008, he was posted at Noida Sector-20, the police station under whose jurisdiction Talwars' L-32, Jalvayu Vihar flat fell," an official said.
They added that it was Malik who had handed over the case diaries to the CBI when the central agency took over the case form the UP Police.
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota