Cop, rape accused go missing on way to court
- Rahul on leave before budget session, BJP says people have already sent Cong on long leave
- 21 more deaths due to swine flu, toll reaches 833
- Anna protests against Land Acquisition Bill in Delhi, lashes out at Modi govt
- Budget: Finance Minister may announce policy plans to combat blackmoney
- Land Acquisition Act "suitably refined": President Pranab Mukherjee
A rape accused and a police constable who had brought him to appear in the court of Jhansi district judge have been missing since Monday afternoon. According to the police, Sanjay Rai, a resident of Jhansi, who is an accused in a rape case registered at Babina police station of the district last year, was lodged in Jhansi district jail. He was brought to the court along with several other inmates for appearance on Monday and was lodged in the cell built inside the court premises.
In the afternoon, Jitendra Singh, who was posted with the Jhansi Reserve Police Line, took Rai for his appearance before the court of the district judge. However, when the name of Rai was announced in the court at 2 pm he was not there. On coming to know about the disappearance of Rai and the constable, police launched a search but neither was found. The police have lodged an FIR at Nawavad police station against Rai and Singh under various sections of IPC including 224 (Resistance or obstruction by a person to his lawful apprehension) on the complaint of Sub-Inspector Malkhe Dikshit.