Cops bear brunt as Akhilesh Yadav suspends 21 officials for dereliction of duty
- Telangana is India's 29th state as Rajya Sabha passes Bill amidst chaos
- Centre files petition in SC for review of its verdict on Rajiv Gandhi killers
- Tribal activist Soni Sori, ex-Infosys CFO V Bala join Aam Aadmi Party
- Supreme Court stops Tamil Nadu from freeing three Rajiv Gandhi killers
- Andhra: Three girls of a family abducted, set ablaze by uncle
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Thursday night suspended 21officials — including four sub-divisional magistrates (SDMs), a divisional forest officer (DFO), a police circle officer and an inspector — for dereliction in performing their duties.
According to a statement from the government, police department officials who were put under suspension on the CM's direction included Arun Kumar Singh, Circle Officer (City), Aligarh, who was found prima facie guilty of not acting as per the rules. Head constable Soran Singh of Provincial Armed Constabulary and constable Anil Kumar of Aligarh police were also suspended for harassing and behaving in a disrespectful way towards women.
The body of a minor girl was found in Bannadevi police station area of Aligarh. Family members had alleged that the girl had been killed after being raped. Accusing the police of inaction, locals held a protest and blocked the Aligarh-Delhi road. The police had to use force to disperse the protesters and policemen reportedly behaved in a disrespectful manner with the women who were protesting there.
The statement further said sub-inspector Ramji Lal, who was station officer of Afzalgarh police station in Bijnor, and sub-inspector Raj Singh have been arrested after a case was lodged against them for allegedly beating up a minor gangrape victim who had come to the police station to lodge her complaint on Monday. The girl had been allegedly raped on April 12 but failed to get her FIR lodged.
The statement said woman constable Sukhraj Kaur had also been booked for assaulting the gangrape victim and she had been suspended.
The CM also suspended Javed Khan, the station house officer of Lucknow's Hasanganj police station where a 25-year-old youth detained by police was found killed in the lock-up on Wednesday, two sub-inspectors and four constables of the police station.
- LS polls: Cong playing wait-and-watch game in dozen-plus seats in state
- ‘Rs 2.3 cr spent on bungalow for former Prez, but that’s no loss to exchequer’
- 9 illegal immigrants working on Army premises nabbed
- BJP’s Saurashtra unit split wide open over former minister’s snub
- Modi: Happy that my speeches contribute to nation’s coffers
- The regressive state