Cops commit suicide
- For âcheeringâ Pakistan in India match, university in Meerut suspends 67 Kashmiri students
- You told us go to hell, says Supreme Court, sends Subrata Roy to jail
- Congress-RJD pact likely today; Kerala Guv resigns, may contest
- Attacker, victim: 2 faces of Gujarat riots come together for âHindu-Muslimâ unity
- UP kidsâ killer disease spread through lice, expert panel finds
Two police constables, who were allegedly in a live-in relationship, were found hanging in a house in Varanasi's Pandeypur locality on Sunday night. The police said they committed suicide.
Akhilesh Singh Yadav (26) and Kanchan Singh (22) had been missing from duty since March 25.
The police said they have found a suicide note, written by Kanchan, stating that no one should be held responsible for their act. The police suspect the duo took an extreme step because Kanchan's family was against their relationship.
Natives of Ghazipur district, both Akhilesh and Kanchan joined the police in 2011. Kanchan was attached with Chetganj police station in Varanasi, while Akhilesh was posted at the Varanasi Police Lines.
Additional SP Rahul Raj said residents of the colony claimed to have seen both Akhilesh and Kanchan outside their house Sunday morning. The police believe both committed suicide in the afternoon.
According to the police, around a month back Akhilesh had taken the ground floor of the house on rent. Later, Kanchan joined him. Both identified themselves to neighbours as husband and wife.