Cops gear up to handle New Year revellers
- Arunachal crisis: SC to hear Congress plea against President's rule at 2 pm
- 6 years later, the admission — ‘Yes, I shot him dead, he was unarmed, officer told me to’
- India is doing great, nobody talks about it, says Donald Trump
- NFHS report reveals 50% children under five years anaemic in West Bengal
- Toyota sells 10.15 million vehicles in 2015, remains world's biggest automaker
Dedicated helplines for women, special squads to raid rave parties and check points to keep a tab on illegal flow of liquor are some of the measures being undertaken on the New Year eve across Gujarat.
"This year, we are more careful. We have already issued two notifications that focus on providing additional security to girl students and women in the city. Besides, four special squads will be on stand-by to raid any rave party," Vadodara Police Commissioner Satish Sharma told The Indian Express on Tuesday.
The commissioner had issued two notifications on Monday, asking schools, colleges and private tuition classes to function only between 7 am to 9 pm, while prohibiting men from hanging around in 50-metre radius of schools, colleges and girls' hostels without genuine reasons.
"There will be increased police presence on city roads on the New Year's eve to ensure safety of women," the commissioner said. The twin helplines for women in distress, 1091 and 2458026, will also be available round-the-clock for women. The helplines were launched by Vadodara police on Monday.
"We will also crack down on bootleggers and set up special check points on roads to contain movement of liquor. If liquor flow is contained, there would be automatic reduction in crime rate," Sharma added.
Meanwhile, in Surat and Ahmedabad, special teams have been formed to keep a tab on drunk driving.
Surat Police Commissioner Rakesh Asthana said women police personnel, both in plain clothes and uniform, would be deployed at different locations to provide extra security for women on the New Year eve.
The Ahmedabad police have formed teams to keep a check on bikers notorious for eve-teasing. Women police have also been deployed to check and control women if they are found drunk. The city had witnessed a horrific hit-and-run case last year outside a city mall where a girl in inebriated state had rammed into three vehicles, killing one person.
- Dalit scholar’s death exposed inability of casteist Hindu to be modern
- Annotated edition of Hitler's Mein Kemph
- Why yuan matters Indian equity markets
- R-day and the saccharine sweet patriotism
- It is clear PM’s concept of nationhood extends beyond constitutional parameters
- The sensitive and old controversy about the minority character of AMU