Cops record Amirul family statement
- India to grow at 7.5 per cent in 2016, faster than China: IMF
- Lalu Yadav, Amit Shah booked for 'Narbhakshi', 'Chara chor' comments
- Nehru's niece returns Sahitya Akademi Award, questions PM's silence on 'reign of terror'
- Delhi MLAs may get 400 per cent hike in salary
- American Airlines plane makes emergency landing after pilot dies mid-flight
A team of senior Kolkata Police officers led by R Tripurari, Joint Commissioner (Organisation), reached the Palm Avenue residence of Mir Amirul Islam to record the statement of his family members. Amirul died on January 1 with burn injuries almost a month after he set himself on fire alleging police atrocities.
For nearly two hours, Amirul's parents, his lawyer Naushad Hussain, his brother Anwar Izhar and friend Zahid Hussain recorded their statements.
A woman constable also took the statement of the 16-year-old rape victim, who was being supported by Amirul and his friends to fight a legal battle against the alleged rapist and police informer Shahzada Bux.
Tripurari also listened to a blow by blow narration of the entire incident, chronologically from the day Amirul had taken the rape victim to get her complaint lodged.
Amirul's lawyer friend Naushad said the joint commissioner had admitted that there had been a mistake on the part of the police.
"He said that the case which had been started against Amirul and his four friends is baseless and assured that a case of abetment to suicide would be started against the errant police officers and if found guilty, they would be put behind the bars as well," he said.