Cops sound alert after threat letter to Ahmedabad airport
- Congress backs Priyanka Gandhi as she hits out at opposition for 'targeting Robert Vadra without proof'
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Third FIR against Giriraj Singh; Muslims should not be afraid of BJP, says Joshi
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Narendra Modi: Omar Abdullah
- IPL spot fixing: Do you want to probe charges against Srinivasan? SC asks Justice Mudgal panel
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, KXIP vs SRH: Can SRH bowlers put brakes on KXIP batsmen?
Police have dismissed as hoax a threat letter received by Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport (SVPIA) in Ahmedabad through post from a man claiming to be an operative of Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT).
The letter, which has the logo of LeT on top written in English, reads, "We are back with the bang! .. be ready to face the real terror....".
The sender claimed that five places in Ahmedabad — SVP International Airport, Hotel Ramada, Bakeri City, Venus Residency and Himalaya Mall — were terror targets. Bakeri City and Venus Residency are plush residential projects.
The airport director has sent the letter to DGP Chitranjan Singh, who has asked the police to beef up security.
Senior police officers, however, suspect the letter might be a hoax threat, much like a previous letter sent to Hotel Courtyard Marriott. They say both letters had the same format.
The Gujarat High Court and local courts in Ahmedabad had also received bomb threats a few months ago.
DIG (ATS) Manoj Shashidhar said, "We are taking all security measures. Quick response teams, bomb disposal squads and Special Operations Group personnel have been asked to step up patrolling and security checks. We have received such letters in the past too, but we are still conducting drills to ensure security."
Meanwhile, police are trying to hunt down for the sender through the local post office stamp printed on it.
2 gangs of robbers busted, 6 held
The Detection of Crime Branch of Ahmedbad police foiled a loot attempt by a local gang inside the Sabarmati Central Jail on Thursday. Gang members, who came out of jail recently, were allegedly planning two robberies in the city.
Acting on a tip-off, the DCB arrested Vishnu Solanki, Mohmmad Sageer and Alpesh alias Tony Patel from the walled city area with two arms and live cartridges.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready