Cops stop car for tinted glass, find gangrape victim inside
- Congress says Togadia spreading venom; EC seeks recording of alleged hate speech
- Akhilesh Yadav tears into Narendra Modi bastion on maiden visit to Gujarat, says third front ready to govern
- Proponents of Article 370 should say how it has helped J&K: Rajnath Singh
- 1984 riots: Akalis protest over Capt Amarinder Singh's clean chit to Jagdish Tytler
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs DD: Raina departs after scoring valiant half-century
The four men — Shakil (23), Lajpatrai Sachdeva (38), Irshad (30) and Abid (21) — were arrested from the spot.
Police said around 3 am personnel at a picket in Swaroop Nagar, Northwest Delhi, flagged down a Hyundai Santro as its windows had tinted films. But, the driver broke the barricade and tried to speed away. Police, in a PCR van and on a motorcycle, chased the car for a kilometre and managed to bring it to a halt.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (North) Sindhu Pillai said: "The vehicle had tinted glasses because of which our officials signalled them to stop. However, they broke a barricade and sped off. During their questioning, they said since the victim was in their car and it had tinted glass, they tried to flee."
In her statement to police, the woman said Shakil picked her up from her house in Rohini, and took her to his flat in Ashok Vihar. She said Shakil also invited his friends.
"The victim alleged that the accused served her a drink laced with sedatives and Shakil and his friends took turns to rape her when she was in a semi-conscious state," a police officer said.
The woman told police that later she was forced inside the car and the men were taking her to Rohini. "On finding a woman inside the car, the passengers were questioned. The woman alleged that the men had raped her," an officer said.
The men were detained and after the woman's medical examination confirmed rape, they were arrested.
Police said the main accused in the case, Irshad, knew the woman for the past one year. He works as a scrap dealer and the Santro belonged to him.
Meira Kumar visits victim
On Thursday evening, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar visited AIIMS to meet the family of the woman. Sources said Kumar spoke to the doctors and the family and assured of all help possible. She also promised a compensation of Rs 2 lakh from her discretionary fund. Kumar reportedly stayed with the family for an hour and has asked doctors at AIIMS to provide the best possible treatment to the woman.
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota