Corporators seek bigger role, eye Assembly seats
- Live: Supreme Court proposes to appoint Sunil Gavaskar as interim president, claim reports
- Days before Yasin Bhatkal was arrested, it was Monu who âdeliveredâ Rs 1 lakh cash to his wife
- MH370 search suspended due to bad weather
- Maoists blow up mobile towers ahead of Narendra Modi rally in Bihar
- Election 2014 LIVE: Modi says Cong manifesto cheats people; FIR against Raj Babbar
11 of Cong's 38 corporators in AMC seek tickets to contest the upcoming Assembly elections
Eleven of the 38 Congress corporators in the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC), including their leader Badruddin Shaikh, have sought party tickets to contest in the upcoming Assembly polls.
Besides Shaikh, these include Naranbhai Patel for Naranpura seat, Haji Israrbaig Mirza for Vejalpur seat, Dariapur corporators Hasan Khan Pathan, Nazneen Bastawala, Vinod Modi and Kalupur's Surendra Baxi, who all have been asking for Dariapur seat.
Liyaqat Ghori of Raikhad and Badruddin Shaikh of Behrampura wards have set their sights on Jamalpur seat.
Asarwa corporator Mangal Surajkar is staking claim for Asarwa Assembly seat while Taufiq Khan Pathan of Rakhial ward wants to contest for Shaherkotda seat. Vatva corporator Atul Patel has shown interest in the newly carved Vatva seat.
In the BJP, two party corporators, Gautam Shah and Darshana Vaghela, are in the race for tickets to contest the Assembly polls.
BJP vice-president I K Jadeja, who was one of the three observers for Ahmedabad city, said it was not uncommon for corporators to ask for a ticket.
In the present government, BJP MLAs Pradeepsinh Jadeja (Asarwa), Faruq Shaikh (Kalupur), Gitaben Patel (Sabarmati), Rakesh Shah (Ellisbridge) and Maya Kodnani (Naroda) were first elected as corporators before they won an Assembly seat.
In Vadodara, BJP MLA Bhupendra Lakhawala has served as corporator for two consecutive five-year terms from 1981 to 1987.
Since 1995, Lakhawala has been elected as BJP MLA for four consecutive terms and has served as labour & employment minister, education and protocol minister, and civil defence, home guard and GRD (Gram Rakshak Dal) minister.
- Green chilli, chappals and stethoscope among 85 free symbols for Independent candidates
- Politicking peaks to new high in Maval: 3 Jagtaps, 2 Barnes jump into fray
- After Chavan’s pep talk, sulking Nimhan joins Cong-NCP poll campaign
- Keep country free of communalism, BJP and Modi: Pawar to voters
- I-League: Mehta goal keeps East Bengal at bay
- The Covered Girl