Corruption, 'divorce' from people main challenges in CPC: Xi Jinping
- Rahul mocks Modi, says his Gujarat development model is a toffee model
- Under fire over Baru's revelation, Congress retorts by calling 'Vajpayee the weakest PM India ever had'
- Narendra Modi, party not separate, no infighting: BJP on Joshi's remarks
- BJP dancing to the tune of RSS; Lok Sabha elections battle between two completely different ideologies, says Sonia Gandhi
- Elections 2014 Live: BJP workers embarrass Murli Joshi by shouting pro-Modi slogans
Corruption and Party reforms were identified as major challenges by Hu also in his speech earlier at the Congress, warning that China and CPC's hold on the country since 1949 may collapse if the issue of graft is not address.
While disgraced CPC leader Bo Xilai, who was expelled from the party following a major scandal, faced charges of sex, sleaze and graft, the CPC was reportedly holding an investigation into a New York Times story alleging that Wen's family had accumulated assets worth over USD 2.7 billion. There were also reports that alleged that Xi's extended family had accumulated vast assets.
In his wide-ranging speech touching on aspirations of the Chinese people, Xi said the Chinese citizens have an ardent love for life.
"They wish to have better education, more stable jobs, more income, greater social security, better medical and health care, improved housing conditions and a better environment," he said.
People want "their children to have sound growth, have good jobs and lead a more enjoyable life. To meet their desire for a happy life is our mission. It is only hard work that creates all happiness in the world," he said.
Without specifying ethnic unrest in Tibet and Xinjiang, which were restive with anti-Chinese sentiments, Xi said "to fulfill our responsibility, we will rally and lead the whole Party and the people of all ethnic groups in China in making continued efforts to free up our minds."
He pledged to carry out reform and opening up, further release and develop the productive forces, work hard to resolve the difficulties the people face in both work and life, and unwaveringly pursue common prosperity.
"We have taken on this important responsibility for the Party. Our Party is dedicated to serving the people. It has led the people in making world-renowned achievements, and we have every reason to take pride in these achievements," Xi said apparently referring to China emerging as the second largest economy.
- Security men at every step, Shinde keeps ‘safe distance’ from voters, debunks charges
- In Beed, Modi factor dents Munde’s goodwill among Muslims
- Ambareesh campaigns for Nilekani
- Raids on Bellary moneylender yield Rs 8.74 crore cash
- MP faces Amreli villagers’ ire in campaign
- JERC approves sale of solar power at Rs 1.13 per unit