Cosmetic Budget, PC's daydream: Jayalalithaa
Finance Minister P Chidambaram's Union Budget came under fire from Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa, who termed it uninspiring and full of rhetoric.
The Budget was "without any tangible steps to tackle the deep crisis confronting the economy. It pays lip service to the cause of the common people but does little to correct deeper structural issues in the economy", she said. "I would describe it only as a daydream cosmetic budget of Mr Chidambaram," she added.
"The Union government has done everything possible to trigger inflation by raising fuel cost and increasing railway freight rates and has created a situation wherein the southward movement of inflation is a near impossibility in the near future. Despite the hype about inflation control measures, there are no tangible steps in the budget to control inflation," the Chief Minister added.
What has irked Jayalalithaa the most appears to be the apparent cut in promised allocations to state governments in what she termed as crucial social sectors.
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota