Cotton College State University elections
- Dengue: Toll reaches 16 as two more girls die; over 2,000 tested positive
- Bihar polls: After quitting Grand Alliance, Mulayam forms Third Front
- US Federal funds rate remains unchanged, defers to global economic volatility
- Bharti gets relief from arrest as HC reserves order on anticipatory bail
- No ban on meat in Maharashtra as SC rejects plea against Bombay HC's order
The election to the newly formed Cotton College State University's first Academic Council and University Court was held here with three and five members,respectively, elected to its highest bodies. In the election held on Friday, three members were elected out of 13 candidates who had filed their nominations for membership to the Academic Council and five out of 11 contestants to the University Court, the University sources said.
Almost all the faculty members (185) of the government-run Cotton College here in Assam participated in the voting process, the sources said.
The three members elected to the academic council are Kamal Barman (department of statistics), Paban Kumar Shaharia (physics) and Suresh Kumar Nath (economics).
The five members for the university court are Arup Kumar Hazarika (Zoology), Dilip Gogoi (Political science), Gaurima Kalita (English), Sudipta Nandy (physics) and Hiren Deka (Mathematics).
The tenure of both the Council and University Court are for three years each, the sources added. The iconic 112-year old Cotton College was converted into a state university by the Cotton College State University Act, 2011 retaining the brand name of the college. The University Court, which is the highest body in the University, will review its broad policies and programmes to suggest measures for their improvement and other affairs of the educational institution.