Councillor’s husband held on dowry charge
- Will reach out to 'muslim' brothers, address Ram Temple issue: Modi
- Congress backs Priyanka Gandhi as she hits out at opposition for 'targeting Robert Vadra without proof'
- CJI bars advocate's entry in SC for 6 months for sexual harrassment
- April 22 Campaign roundup: Modi hurls a 'khooni panja' at Cong, says its responsible for 1100 lives in Telangana
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, KXIP vs SRH: KXIP beat SRH by 72 runs
Police have arrested the husband of Satyam Yadav, the 26-year-old councillor from Nangloi (West) who was found dead with her year-old daughter at their home on Thursday.
Pawan Yadav, a teacher at a municipal corporation-run primary school in Nangloi, was taken into custody and charged with dowry harassment.
Police claimed that the Congress councillor from Ward C-43 of North Municipal Corporation strangled her daughter Vanshika and then hanged herself from the ceiling fan of their house (number 96 in Nangloi) with a dupatta. The incident took place around 7.30 am Thursday.
Satyam's family, however, alleged foul play.
Her 28-year-old husband was arrested on the basis of a complaint filed by her brother, Prashant, who alleged that she died because of dowry harassment. Circumstantial evidence pointed to Pawan and several inconsistencies were detected in his statement, police sources said.
Additional Commissioner of Police (West) V Renganathan said Pawan was arrested on Thursday night, produced in court in the morning and sent to judicial custody for 14 days.
A case of dowry death has also been registered against Satyam's in-laws — Satyawati Devi and Lalu Ram Yadav — at Nangloi police station.
Satyam's family alleged that her in-laws had been demanding Rs 10 lakh and a Honda City as dowry.
Police said they were questioning Satyawati and Lalu Ram. Satyam's brother Prashant claimed that Pawan was unemployed at the time of marriage. "Her in-laws kept telling her that they could have married Pawan off to someone from Gurgaon and that they would have got Rs 50 lakh as dowry," he alleged.
Lalu Ram was a member of a Congress block committee. "He always wanted to contest elections. This year, the ward was reserved for women. So, they made Satyam contest the municipal elections against her wish," Prashant alleged.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready