Couple attempts suicide as villagers damage their hut
- Proponents of Article 370 should say how it has helped J&K: Rajnath Singh
- 1984 riots: Akalis protest over Capt Amarinder Singh's clean chit to Jagdish Tytler
- Supreme Court issues notice to Goa Police, agrees to hear Tejpal's bail plea in sexual assault case
- SC allows annual cap of 20m tonnes of iron ore mining in Goa
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Pt Channulal Mishra backs Modi but Bismillah's family won't
A couple attempted to commit suicide after a group of locals belonging to another community damaged their hutment in Rohaniya area of Varanasi on Saturday morning. The man and his wife doused themselves with kerosene, after which the woman set herself ablaze. The man suffered over 15 per cents burns too while trying to rescue his wife.
The condition of the woman, who sustained over 50 per cent burns, is stated to be critical. Heavy police force has been deployed in the village to avoid any untoward incident.
Varanasi Additional SP (ASP) Pradeep Gupta said the people from a community had raised objections to the couple — Amarnath Seth (38) and Poonam (35) — raising a hutment on a piece of unused land, which is close to a graveyard in Bairvan village.
On Saturday, members of the community reached the hutment, forcing them to remove it. An altercation took place between the couple and the group of people, who later started pelting stones at the hutment and damaged it.
Upset over the incident, the couple poured kerosene on themselves, threatening to immolate in front of other locals who had gathered by then. Poonam set herself on fire immediately and ran towards a nearby field. Amarnath, who did not immolate himself, ran behind her carrying a blanket and covered his wife to put out the flames. He, however, sustained burns in attempt to rescue her.
The locals informed the police and the couple was rushed to the hospital.An FIR has been lodged against Shamsuddin and seven others of the same village who allegedly visited the hutment of the couple. However, no arrest has been made so far.
Gupta also said that the couple had erected the hut with permission from local pradhan Lal Bihari Patel.
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota