Court awards damages of Rs 18.6 lakh to man in coma after an accident
- 20 jawans feared dead as Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh
- Missing Malaysia airline: Man travelling on stolen passport identified as Iranian
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
THE district court on Tuesday announced a compensation of Rs 18.6 lakh to the family of a man who went into coma after a road accident near Amartex Chowk in Sector 14, Panchkula, in 2011.
Rajeev Sharma has been comatose for more than two years after a Haryana Roadways bus hit his motorcycle on September 3, 2011.
The compensation would be paid by New India Assurance Company, which had insured the Haryana Roadways bus. The driver of the bus, Manoj Kumar, is facing trial for negligent driving.
Sharma, 40, worked as a driver for heavy vehicles and has been in coma for the past two years after suffering head injuries in the accident. He was on his way home in Sector 19, Panchkula, when the accident occurred. He has been declared 100 per cent disabled.
The court of Additional District and Sessions Judge Gurvinder Kaur calculated Rs 9 lakh as the compensation to be awarded based on the future income lost. Sharma earned Rs 5,000 per month from his job. The court decided to compensate Sharma's family, including his wife Kiran Kumari, with another Rs 3.6 lakh that would be incurred as medical expenses for another 15 years. The family is paying Rs 2,000 for his medical assistance every month. The court also awarded a compensation of Rs 3 lakh each for loss of life expectancy and for pain and suffering respectively, bringing the total compensation to Rs 18.6 lakh.
Out of the total compensation awarded, Rs 14 lakh would be deposited in a fixed deposit account and the remaining would be transferred to Sharma's saving account, as directed by the court.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express