Court defers order on Zakia petition to Dec 26
- GMR pilots skip medical tests before flying Rahul Gandhi, to be grounded
- Supreme Court recognises third gender, glimmer of hope for gays
- Karnataka: At least six burnt to death, 12 injured as bus catches fire
- Train derails in Assam, at least 50 passengers injured
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Sonia Gandhi to address first poll rally in Telangana today
A Metropolitan court on Monday deferred the pronouncement of order on Zakia Jafri's petition challenging Supreme Court-appointed SIT's closure report that gave clean chit to Chief Minister Narendra Modi and others in the 2002 post-Godhra riots case.
Metropolitan Magistrate B J Ganatra deferred the order to December 26. It is one of the most awaited judgments involving Modi and many bureaucrats and police officers in connection with the 2002 riots. Complainant Zakia Jafri has accused the CM and others in the alleged conspiracy that led to the killing of hundreds of people, mostly from minority community, in the state.
The SIT had submitted its closure report to the court last year, giving clean chit to Modi. Following this, the complainant Jafri — widow of former Congress parliamentarian Ehsan Jafri, who was killed in Gulberg society massacre by the violent mob during the riots — filed a petition challenging the closure report.
Subsequently, the SIT and Jafri's lawyers argued the matter for nearly five months on which the judgment is to be delivered. During the arguments, Jafri's lawyers had blamed the SIT for being "biased" and demanded reinvestigation by other independent agency.
Her lawyers also claimed that there were enough material evidence to chargesheet Modi and other accused. They also said that the SIT, by filing closure report, actually acted as judge rather than an investigating agency. On the contrary, the SIT discarded Jafri's complaint as "fabricated and work of fiction" and said there was no evidence to prove her allegation.