Court directs IHBAS to examine policeman who shot dead colleague
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
A city court has asked a medical panel from the Institute of Human Behaviour & Allied Sciences (IHBAS) to evaluate a probationary sub-inspector who had allegedly shot dead his colleague in a police station last year.
Metropolitan Magistrate Samar Vishal directed IHBAS to evaluate 26-year-old Amarjeet Singh's current mental status and fitness to stand trial. Singh had filed a plea for his release, claiming that he was of unsound mind.
Singh had allegedly shot dead his colleague Kailash Chandra Yadav, at Nihal Vihar police station in West Delhi, in July 2011, using his service revolver.
"Accused should be admitted by IHBAS for a period of four weeks for evaluation of whether he is of sound mind or not," the court said.
"Medical Board shall also give opinion regarding fitness of the accused to stand trial, fitness for job, ability to take care of person and property, current mental status and its implications and capacity to understand nature of acts performed by him in ordinary and routine course of life," the court said.
Earlier, Singh's application had been dismissed by the Sessions court. Singh had challenged the dismissal in the Delhi High Court, which set aside the order and directed that Singh's examination be conducted by a special medical board.
In the report, the doctors had opined that Singh required hospitalisation and in-patient evaluation for 3-4 weeks, for assessing his mental state and sought appropriate orders from the court.
The medical board has been directed to file a fresh report on January 10.
- Modi govt abetted and pushed 2002 riots further, we didnâ€™t in â€™84:Â Rahul
- Rahul gifts his land near Vadraâ€™s in Haryana village to sisterÂ Priyanka
- Indiaâ€™s biggest failing | The Indian Express
- Hrithik Roshan, Hrithik Roshan Bang Bang, Hrithik Roshan starts shooting, Hrithik Roshan Katrina Kaif, Katrina Kaif bang bang | The Indian Express