Court restrains Gujarat BJP MLA from entering his constituency
- Mulayam asks teaching assistants to vote SP, EC sees a 'violation'
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7: Maxwellâs 43-ball 95 helps KXIP chase 206
A local court today prohibited Gujarat BJP MLA Jetha Bharwad from entering his constituency where a case has been registered against him for alleged attempt to murder in an incident of firing during the Assembly polls.
District Judge D T Soni, before adjourning the hearing on Bharwad's anticipatory bail application, ordered him not to enter his constituency till the court decides on his plea.
At the same time, the court directed the police not to arrest the MLA from Sahera constituency in Panchmahal district and provide him adequate security till further orders.
An FIR had been registered against Bharwad and nine others in connection with firing at a polling booth in Tarsang village, which falls under Sahera Assembly segment, during the second phase of voting on December 17.
Eight rounds were allegedly fired from the machine gun of Bharwad's bodyguard, causing injuries to four people. The lawmaker, fearing arrest, last week sought anticipatory bail.
The newly-elected MLA today appeared in the court surrounded by a large number of supporters, who shouted slogans in the court compound.
During the hearing, the Judge asked the ruling party legislator to restrain his supporters and not to disrupt the proceedings. After completion of arguments by Bharwad's counsel, the court fixed December 26 for further hearing.
The MLA had been absconding since December 18 when he escaped from a private hospital in Ahmedabad, where he was brought under detention by a police team for CT-scan after he suffered injuries in stone pelting at Tarsang.
Eight policemen, including an Inspector, who were part of his escort, were suspended for dereliction of duty.
- Cong appoints Harshad scam accused as chief of Mumbai Gujarati cell
- Militants kill PDP sarpanch in Valley
- VVIP chopper scam: CBI chief meets envoy in Italy
- In final run, Mavericks first hurdle for Spurs
- Injuries to Neymar, Alba add to Barcelona’s woes
- Rani Jhansi flyover: HC notices to civic body, Railways