CP dusted and swept to welcome Diwali
- Satyam Scam: All 10 accused including founder B Ramalinga Raju found guilty
- 1993 Mumbai blasts: SC junks Yakub Memon's plea, confirms death penalty
- CM Mufti rubbishes claims of separate townships for Kashmiri Pandits
- Death by Breath: Metro helps but
- Moody's positive rating validates Centre's reform agenda: CEA
JCDecaux in collaboration with the New Delhi Traders Association and the New Delhi Municipal Council carried out a massive clean-up drive in Connaught Place on Saturday.
The drive began at 9 am on Saturday morning, with an emphasis on cleaning the roads, pavements and walkways of the premier shopping area in the national capital.
As many as 15 cleaning vans were used during the clean-up drive. A JCDecaux official said, "The festival of Diwali is one of the most important celebrations for the country and Connaught Place is one place everybody in Delhi frequents for shopping. Diwali is also a time when the market becomes exceedingly dirty, which is why we carried out the campaign."
Representatives of both NDTA and NDMC were present at the cleaning drive. Ramesh Goel, a shopkeeper in the Inner Circle, said, "These cleaning drives make the market look better and help people notice that cleanliness is important. People will think twice about littering in the area if they see others cleaning the market. If the city is to be truly world class, then markets such as CP must have high standards as well."