CPI(M) demands re-investigation of Suryanelli gangrape case
- India's naval might on full display off Visakhapatnam coast
- Kerala solar scam: Had freedom to enter Chandy’s house anytime, says Saritha Nair
- Australian national suspected to be IS supporter deported from Delhi airport
- At least 39 dead as Gujarat state transport bus plunges into river
- Cops have a case for new juvenile law: boy who ‘killed 2’
CPI(M) today demanded re-investigation of the 17-year-old Suryanelli gangrape case and sought removal of P J Kurien from the post of Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman following allegations against him in connection with the incident.
"A reinvestigation is essential and Kurien should step down from his post of Deptu Chairman of the Rajya Sabha, till it is over," CPI(M) Polit Bureau said in a statement here, claiming that "fresh evidence" had surfaced in the case.
The Left party said the surfacing of "fresh evidence" in the gangrape case concerning the involvement of Kurien comes in the background of the Supreme Court orders annulling the acquittal of 35 men by the Kerala High Court in 2005 and ordering a re-examination of the case.
It said the whole country was agitated about the alarming rise in sexual crimes against women and Parliament was set to discuss laws concerning sexual violence against women.
"At such a juncture, when a rape victim has leveled a serious charge against P J Kurien and fresh evidence has come to light, will it be proper for him to continue in the post of Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha? It becomes incumbent for him to resign. If not, he should be removed from the post of Deputy Chairman," it said.
The party said it should be noted that Kurien had got the benefit of a "flawed judgement" when his petition not to be included as one of the accused was accepted by the High Court and the Supreme Court in 2007.
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2