CPI demands sub-plan for Muslims
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day
- Dhowan takes over as Navy Chief, superseded Sinha resigns
- Election Commission lifts ban on BJP leader Amit Shah after he promises to behave
The CPI on Sunday demanded that Muslims in the country be brought under a sub-plan similar to the one for the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in order to bring about their economic and educational upliftment.
"The report of the Sachar Committee and the Ranganath Mishra Commission have clearly highlighted the fact that socio-economic and educational backwardness of Muslims is worse than Scheduled Castes," CPI general secretary S Sudhakar Reddy told reporters in Kolkata.
"Though the government has announced certain measures, those have suffered on account of their non-implementation or faulty implementation," Reddy said.
"We demand a sub-plan for Muslim minority like SC/ST sub-plan," the CPI leader said after a two-day all-India meeting here of party cadres working among the minorities.
"We also demand recognition of all Muslim professional communities as OBC and grant them all OBC facilities," he said.
He also demanded arrangements for proper utilisation of funds for the betterment of Muslims.
Alleging harassment of Muslim youths by investigating agencies, Reddy said: "All terrorist-related cases during the last one decade need to be reviewed by a judicial mechanism."
The party also demanded that all those acquitted by the courts must be appropriately compensated.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer