CPM asks CM to reveal source of party funds
- Haji Ali dargah will have to open doors for women after Bombay HC ruling
- My vision for India is rapid transformation, not gradual evolution: PM Modi
- Panel works on alternative to pellets: Balls of pepper, capsicum gas
- Scorpene leak: Firms to be blacklisted only in cases of clear criminality, says Parrikar
- Sheena Bora murder: Taped conversations emerging on media submitted in court, says CBI
In the wake of allegations of extortion levelled against Trinamool Congress leaders by party MLA from Singur, the CPM on Wednesday hit out at Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for failing to reveal the source of her party fund.
"She (Mamata) says she sells paintings to collect money for her party. Does she think she is Picasso, Leonardo Da Vinci or Michaelangelo? Can she come out with a list of the paintings she has drawn and sold, along with the name of the buyers? Industrialists and corporate heads have been forced to buy those," said CPM leader Rabin Deb at party's rally in Sinthee in the outskirts of Kolkata.
Former chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, who also addressed the rally, exhorted everyone to speak up against the "mindless policies of the state government" and accused Mamata of indulging into communalism.
- Pakistan army has a battle to win: The corruption within
- Anger of Irom Sharmila’s supporters should not be dismissed as selfishness or cynicism
- You keep the cow’s tail: A post card from Una, Gujarat, August 15
- History shows why Balochistan is not an internal matter of Pakistan
- The use of technology will be key to making GST a success
- Sedition law cannot be used against honest views, expressed peacefully