Crack ITBP unit guarding Ajmal Kasab bills govt Rs 27 cr
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Kejriwal on dharna against attack on Bharti; Modi to file nomination from Varanasi
- Modi to Cong: Just 20 days more...Will take revenge
- SC to frame rules to snip govt ads
- Donât allow regional parties to contest LS polls: Chavan
- Elections 2014 Phase 6 LIVE: Modi urges youngsters to vote; Medha Patkar alleges money distribution by parties
The ITBP contingent guarding 26/11 terrorist Ajmal Kasab at the Arthur Road Jail in Mumbai will soon be "deinducted".
According to procedure, once the specified task given to a special squad of a central force comes to an end, the Union Home Ministry issues an order asking the force headquarters to "deinduct" the contingent.
"The squad designated to guard Kasab will be deinducted now," sources in the paramilitary said.
A 300-strong contingent of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) was deployed at the Mumbai prison soon after Kasab, who was hanged today in Pune, was lodged in a special cell in the jail.
The force was sent on the request of the state government to guard the high-profile inmate.
The ITBP squad that was deployed for securing Kasab was armed with the best weaponry like under barrel grenade launchers and high precision weapons and ammunition in order to ensure tight security of the jail complex where Kasab was lodged.
The ITBP, a border guarding force tasked to secure the Sino-Indian frontier, has been monitoring its squad 24x7 since Kasab was lodged there via its control room based here.
The ITBP has since put forward a bill of about Rs 27 crore to the Maharashtra government for rendering this duty as per the rules of their deployment.
- Hyderabad blast 2013: Agencies hunt for Mangalore ‘source’
- Police raids Giriraj Singh's home to arrest him for hate remarks
- Main accused in hawala racket has underworld links: Police
- Sindhu, Kashyap advance, Srikanth exits early at Asian C’ships
- Adhiban recovers, stays in lead
- 1 jumps to death as fire breaks out in Surat 10-storey building