Crackdown on errant bikers, 21 detained
- Cricketer Mohd Kaif, Nilekani, Ravi Kishen among 194 in Congress' first list of candidates for the Lok Sabha polls
- Yeddyurappa among 52 Bharatiya Janata Party candidates for Lok Sabha polls
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- Ink attack on AAP leader Yogendra Yadav at Jantar Mantar
In a crackdown on errant bikers, police detained 21 motorcyclists for flouting traffic norms and impounded 22 two-wheelers.
Besides that 70 persons were challaned for violating traffic rules in New Delhi area on Friday.
According to police, 656 bikers were checked near India Gate area out of which 56 were challaned by the cops for flouting traffic rules.
Police impounded 15 bikes from nearby areas of India Gate.
Twenty-one bikers were detained at Mandir Marg road.
The bikers were a part of procession of Valmiki Jayanti which started from Central Delhi and culminated at Valmiki Temple at Mandir Marg area.
"Cars, horses, cycle, and bikers were a part of procession. Bikers who were doing triple riding and not wearing helmet were detained by the police," said a senior police official.
"Detained persons were challaned for rash driving in procession and their parents were called. They were set free after a brief counselling," said police.
Police clarified that bikers who were detained from the Valmiki Jayanti procession were not performing any stunts.