Cracker sale to cross Rs 6 cr
- India's naval might on full display off Visakhapatnam coast
- Kerala solar scam: Had freedom to enter Chandy’s house anytime, says Saritha Nair
- Australian national suspected to be IS supporter deported from Delhi airport
- At least 39 dead as Gujarat state transport bus plunges into river
- Cops have a case for new juvenile law: boy who ‘killed 2’
The Excise and Taxation Department aims to double tax collection from the sale of crackers this year. Going by the present trend, the official sale of crackers in two parts of Ludhiana district will cross more than Rs 6 crore.
In terms of revenue, Ludhiana district has been divided into three parts. In Ludhiana district 1 headed by Assistant Excise and Taxation Commissioner (AETC) H P S Ghotra, the tax collection till now has reached Rs 67.42 lakh after he conducted four inspections. More tax is likely to come in the next week.
This collection is the advance tax deposit against the stock of crackers which indicates sale of crackers worth not less than Rs 4 crore from one part of the district.
Four wholesalers deposited tax of Rs 57.42 lakh while Rs 5 lakh was deposited by another 37 casual dealers, said Ghotra. "We will do more collection in the coming week. Last year, tax collection from district 1 was only Rs 37 lakh. The inspections found undervaluation of stock by the cracker dealers. Among other discrepancies, prices were less in the tax records compared to the market price of crackers," he added.
In Ludhiana district 2, AETC Harbir Singh said tax collection of more than Rs 30 lakh was likely to be done from the wholesalers and casual dealers against a tax of Rs 12 lakh last year. This indicates official sale of crackers of not less than Rs 2 crore from Ludhiana district 2.
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2