Cramped Shatabdi timings lead to huge traffic snarls
- Congress fields local MLA Ajay Rai from Varanasi to take on Modi, Kejriwal
- Kejriwal slapped again, second attack in last four days
- Amit Shah will destroy secular fabric of UP: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Bihar: BJP attacks Nitish over CRPF officer's death, calls for probe
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Gujarat development model a "sheer largescale hoodwinking", says Congress
Timing of new shataBdi maybe pushed forward
Massive traffic snarls are being faced at the railway station with there being little time gap between the morning Kalka Shatabdi that arrives from Delhi and the newly introduced Chandigarh-New Delhi Shatabdi that departs forDelhi. Traffic jams and lack of parking space are among the major problems.
The arrival time of Kalka Shatabdi is 11.05 am. While the new Chandigarh-New Delhi Shatabdi departs from Chandigarh at 11.40 am.
The passengers in the morning Shatabdi have to disembark at platform number 2 instead of 1 as is the case with all other Shatabdi trains.
Traffic snarls were being experienced even during arrival and departure of one Shatabdi. Now with passengers being dropped at the station to board the train and those arriving being picked up around the same time the chaos has increased. The parking lot at the Railway Station fills up fast and entry of vehicles is thereafter not allowed. Vehicles are then parked along the roads which is prohibited.
The parking lot has a capacity of around 200 cars. Apart from cars, auto-rickshaws are also parked here.
One of the attendants at the parking lot said there was a need to increase the gap between the arrival and departure of Shatabdis. "The parking lot is packed in the morning and we have to refuse entry to vehicles. Chaos has been witnessed with the start of the new Shatabdi," he added.
Starting of an afternoon Shatabdi was a long pending demand of city residents and has received encouraging response with almost 60 percent occupancy since it started. However, passengers rue that they are now required to disembark at platform number 2 instead of 1.
The situation will be monitored for the next few days. In case the snarls continue, it is expected that the time of departure of the Chandigarh-New Delhi Shatabdi might witness some change. The train would then depart around noon.
- 4-yr-old sexually assaulted by school bus attendant
- 65 lakh voters register in Pune district
- Candidates declare assets, Ayali has property worth Rs 16.86 cr
- Chaos at DC office as heavyweights file papers
- Culex vishnui mosquito is now breeding in city, finds PGI survey
- Over 6 lakh registered voters in city