Crib deaths: Guv concerned but officials say not alarming
On a day Governor M K Narayanan expressed concern over the infant deaths at Malda Medical College and Hospital by terming it as "unfortunate", four more children died in the hospital on Thursday taking the total toll since Tuesday to 21.
The health taskforce, constituted by the government, however, claimed the situation was not alarming. "The situation is not as alarming as it is made out in the media. The infrastructure at the paediatric and the sick neonatal care units has improved," said Tridip Banerjee, chairman of the taskforce. Banerjee and another member of the taskforce inspected the unit and spoke to the doctors and family members of children admitted.
The causes of the deaths have been attributed to malnourishment, underweight and premature birth.
Raises the issue of assault on teachers
Governor MK Narayanan has expressed concern over the assault of college teachers in the state. "The local administration and college authorities should take steps to see such incidents don't take place again," he said.
- Main accused in hawala racket has underworld links: Police
- Sindhu, Kashyap advance, Srikanth exits early at Asian C’ships
- Adhiban recovers, stays in lead
- 1 jumps to death as fire breaks out in Surat 10-storey building
- Barcelona gets temporary relief as FIFA freezes transfer ban
- Moyes thanks Ferguson, stays mum on players