Cribbing about being fat/old indicates negative body image
- Will reach out to 'muslim' brothers, address Ram Temple issue: Modi
- Congress backs Priyanka Gandhi as she hits out at opposition for 'targeting Robert Vadra without proof'
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Kiran bedi supports Narendra Modi's PM candidature
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Narendra Modi: Omar Abdullah
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, KXIP vs SRH: SRH field first, Pathan comes in for Ishant
Just as talking about being fat points to body dissatisfaction, talking about being old would imply one's negative self-image, new research has shown.
Body dissatisfaction is known to be correlated with, and predictive of, physical and mental health problems including binge eating, emotional eating, stress, low self-esteem, depression, and use of unhealthy weight control behaviours.
In order to see if the impact of ''fat talk'' and other aspects of body image such as ageing, ''old talk'', was the same throughout women''s lives, researchers from Trinity University and University of the West of England surveyed almost 1000 women, whose ages ranged from 18 to 87.
The results showed that both ''fat talk'' and ''old talk'' occurred throughout women''s lives, but in general women talked less about age and getting older than they did about their concerns with weight. ''Fat talk'' appeared to be a younger woman''s topic and became less frequent with age, while ''old talk'' increased.
Women who reported higher levels of ''fat talk'' and ''old talk'' also tended to have a more negative body image. Dr. Carolyn Black Becker, who led this study, noted, "Until now, most research has focused on the negative effects of the thin-ideal and speech, such as ''fat talk'', in younger women, but we need to remember that the thin-ideal is also a young-ideal which, as our results show, becomes increasingly important to negative body image as women age."
The study has been published in BioMed Central''s open access journal Journal of Eating Disorders.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready